What acne marks – scars are?
Acne marks are acne skin inflammation final result.
When a pore or a follicle is filled with sebum, dead cells and bacteria, a topical inflammation is caused, which, if it is not treated timely and properly, leads to a pore wall rupture.
The more superficial the rupture is, the milder the symptoms are. In ruptures at deeper skin levels, the damages which are caused are more intense and the danger of acne scars appearance is higher.
Acne marks appear more often on the face, the back and the chest. Less frequently we see them on the gluteal area as well.
What are acne scars types?
Acne marks may be of atrophic type, due to tissue spoilage or hypertrophic type, due to tissue deposition during healing.
The atrophic type acne scars are the most often and they are distinguished in three subcategories:
- icepick – narrow and deep
- rolling – corrugated
- boxcar – broad and deep
The hypertrophic acne scars are caused from the connective tissue overproduction. Our body, trying to heal the area, produces intensely collagen which is accumulated, disordering skin structure and creating these hypertrophic scars, even keloid ones.
How are acne marks created?
The main factor of acne scarring is the sebaceous glands inflammation. The bigger the inflammation is, the more immense the danger of acne scars appearance becomes.
What are the preventive measures against acne marks?
The timely and proper treatment is the main preventive measure against them. Avoiding pressing the black or white sebum also helps as by pressing comedones, dead cells, oils and bacteria may be sent to deeper skin levels, enforcing inflammation and the formation of bigger acne scars. However, even by prevention, acne scarring is inevitable, in many cases.
What is acne scars therapy?
Acne scars treatment is a difficult problem.
Acne scarring therapeutic choices include:
- surgical correction: deep and broad scars’ removal is possible, resulting in an aesthetically better scar, appearing as a fine line.
- fractional CO2 laser: with this special laser we scan selectively the skin surface we wish to correct, stimulating the collagen production by the fibroblasts in the deeper skin levels. Acne scarring treatment with this method leads to skin rejuvenation without special irritations and short downtime. An average number of sessions is 3 to 5, with a month’s meantime.
- plasma autologous mesotherapy (PRP): it utilizes platelets autologous growth factors from our own blood, promoting collagen production and elastic fibers in the skin and increasing tissues neoangiogenesis.
- diamond microdermabrasion: aims at skin dead cells removal, smoothing skin’s texture and reducing acne scars depth. After repeated therapies, acne marks are refined gradually.
- hyaluronic acid: it fills the scars and corrects the skin disformation. Acne scars treatment with this method is fast enough and the results are obvious hence application.